Back Tokyo Cheapo | Events | Newsletter

Where to dispose of old electronics?

Hey all,
After a quick search, I was unable to find any info on where to throw away my old electronics. I’ve been in Japan for a while and have accumulated several phones, cameras, and other miscellaneous items that I don’t know what to do with. They are completely useless except for perhaps parts. Is there any electronics d.i.y. creator’s base or something that could use the stuff for parts? If not, where can I dispose of them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi
maybe it depends on which ward/district you live in, they may offer some disposal service. I live in kanagawa and my district offers us free disposal every few weeks, highlighted in some large guide to waste disposal.

otherwise you could post on craigslist but you’d have to arrange for people to come and get it off you.

I’m in Meguro. There’s a trash date 2 times monthly for miscellaneous non-burnable trash. I thought it was more for aerosol cans and the like, but I suppose these sort of things may get picked up since they are small enough. Still, I wish there was a way to have them recycled for parts.