What should I budget for food on a trip to Tokyo?

I’m planning to travel to Tokyo in early 2025 with my family (2 adults, 3 kids ages 5 to 12). We won’t necessarily be on a shoestring budget but we want to plan ahead so we can keep costs in check. What can we expect to spend per person per day for food, on a mid-range budget?

For reference, we expect to stay in accommodations with kitchen facilities. We’ll feed the kids familiar stuff for breakfast like cereal and bagels if we can find them. Lunch and dinner we plan to eat lots of local food as the kids all like sushi, ramen, etc. and probably once in a while hit up a pizza joint when they are craving Western food.

My spouse and I went to Japan back in 2011 so we know about cheap takeout counters, going to expensive places for lunch not dinner, etc. But since it’s been so long since we were there, we have no idea what actual prices are like. Any thoughts on how to estimate our costs, tips on where to shop/eat out, and what to avoid would be much appreciated!

Cereal is cheap. That will cost you no more than 100 yen per person per day. Bagels are a little pricey, usually about 300yen each. An average lunch is in the range of 1,200 to 2,000yen per person. You can get similar for dinner as well if you stick to some of the chain stores, but if you want something a bit nicer, it will be around 3,000yen/person. So your daily budget with two restaurant meals each day could be around 20,000yen/day. If you enjoy nice wine, beer, or sake, it could be 3,000 to 6,000yen extra each day.