Suggestions for 6-7 days trip in Tokyo

Hi everyone,

I plan 6-7 days in Tokyo (only in city).
What do you think of the list of attractions to see?

Something to add or remove from list?

• Imperial Palace and The East Gardens
  • Tokyo International Forum
  • Ginza
  • Nihombashi Bridge
  • Tsukiji Fish Market
  • Odaiba
  • Rainbow Bridge
  • Zojo-ji
  • Cat street
  • Hachiko
  • Meiji Jingu
  • Shibuya Crossing
  • Takeshita Street
  • NHK Studio Park
  • Yoyogi Park
  • Golden Gai
  • Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
  • Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
  • Akihabara
  • Asakusa
  • National Museum of Nature and Science
  • Senso-ji Temple
  • Tokyo National Museum
  • Ueno Park
  • Yanaka Cemetery and Ginza
  • Edo-Tokyo Museum

I read all information on site, blog and another site (like tripadvisor, japan-guide) , but i still have no idea about this plan :confused:

Personally, I would ditch the Nature & Science Museum (parts are fun for kids but a lot of the natural history stuff is general enough that you can get it anywhere) and Tsukiji Fish Market (you basically have to line up overnight if you want to see the auction), and highly recommend the National Museum and Edo-Tokyo Museum (good breadth of exhibits, high foreign-language accessibility).

As for the overall plan, it’s hard to gauge for some things. Like, what on Odaiba specifically do you want to see? There are a few attractions but it’s a lot of big malls and connections to the city’s transit network aren’t great, so just getting there eats a lot of time. Ginza and Shibuya are similar in that they’re primarily shopping districts that might be fun to walk through once, but otherwise don’t have much appeal.

It would also be useful to try and break the plan down into days that are centered around the same neighborhood or station, so you don’t burn time moving across town. That makes it easier to see if your plan has too much or needs to be rebalanced.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply.

Ok, so i removed Nature & Science Museum, and i shared plan for each day.
I stay at the First Cabin Tsukiji, so i can go to fish market early morning.

Tsukiji Fish Market
Tokyo International Forum
Kokyo Gaien National Garden
Imperial Palace and East Garden
Nihonbashi Bridge

Akihabara District
Ueno Imperial Grant Park
Tokyo National Museum
Nakamise Street
Senso­ji
Asakusa Shrine

Tokyo Skytree
Ryogoku Sumo Hall
Yanaka Cemetery
Yanaka Ginza
Nezu Shrine

NHK Studio Park
Yoyogi Park
Meiji Shrine
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office

ZĹŤjĹŤji Temple
Roppongi Hills
Aoyama Cemetery
HachikĹŤ
Shibuya Crossing
Cat Street
Harajuku

Rainbow Bridge
National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation Miraikan
Tokyo Big Sight
Edo Tokyo Museum

shopping
3-4h in Narita (city)
airport

1 Like

Seems reasonable, although one thing I would consider is swapping Skytree and the Edo-Tokyo Museum. The Edo-Tokyo Museum is right next to the Sumo Hall. Unless your trip coincides with one of the annual sumo tournaments, the Sumo Hall has a single exhibition room that you can get through in 10-15 minutes, but the Edo-Tokyo Museum could easily swallow 3-4 hours if you take the time to read through every single exhibit.

Plus, I found on our week in Tokyo that doing two museums in a day can be rough, since they pretty much all have 9-5 hours. Factoring in time for lunch and the travel time from Odaiba to anywhere, doing a non-Odaiba museum on the same day as Miraikan could force you to rush. But there’s no rush to get from Odaiba to Skytree, because it’s open later (and is really just a big mall with an expensive elevator).

Days 4 and 5 look like they don’t have a lot of time-intensive activities but may involve a lot of walking or short subway hops to get between each one.

2 Likes

Thank You for help :slight_smile:

Ok, i swapped Skytree and Edo-Tokyo Museum.
I bought unlimited metro tickets, so I do not have to worry about transportation.

Tsukiji Fish Market
Tokyo International Forum
Kokyo Gaien National Garden
Imperial Palace and East Garden
Nihonbashi Bridge

ZĹŤjĹŤji Temple
Roppongi Hills
Aoyama Cemetery
HachikĹŤ
Shibuya Crossing
Cat Street
Harajuku

Akihabara District
Ueno Imperial Grant Park
Tokyo National Museum
Nakamise Street
Senso­ji
Asakusa Shrine

Edo Tokyo Museum
Ryogoku Sumo Hall
Yanaka Cemetery
Yanaka Ginza
Nezu Shrine

NHK Studio Park
Yoyogi Park
Meiji Shrine
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office

Rainbow Bridge
National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation Miraikan
Tokyo Big Sight
Tokyo Skytree

• and if i have enouhg time, I might add Sea Life Park - on Youtube and photos, looks pretty interesting

shopping
3-4h in Narita (city)
airport

Not visiting Tsukiji Fish Market???

Unbelievable, it is my number 1 recommendation for Tokyo. Unfortunately I don’t have time now to comment more, but Tsukiji is a lot more than just the tuna auction.

1 Like

Great how you prepare your trip Kowalp.

Day 1: I am happy you consider the Tsukiji Fish Market. Try to go into the inner market first. Watch out for the carts and don’t stay too long in the same position. But you will be surprised by the crazy activity and the dozens of small shops. Then you can go to the outer market. I tried out several restaurants in and around Tsukiji. You can p.m. me if you want recommendations. Today for example I had lunch and paid only 2400 yen for two (we had each 10-13 sushi), and the quality was exquisite. After breakfast/lunch, you can go back to the inner market, when the activity is over and when it is desolate… Such an interesting contrast. You see some people cleaning their material, leftover fish here and there, a rat sometimes,… I am happy the fisk market hasn’t moved yet to Toyosu.
In my opinion, both Tokyo International Forum and Imperial Palace and East Garden, are not very interesting. The Imperial Palace, you cannot see and the garden itself is very plain and even boring, with relatively big paths.
Instead, I would recommend you to go to Hamarikyu garden (300 yen), close to Tsukiji. From the garden, you can see the skyscrapers from Shinbashi, which is again a nice contrast with the garden. You can take the boat to Asakusa for example. There are some duck hunting ponds.
Another option is to wander through Ginza for shopping and for architecture (De Beers, Mikimoto, Yamaha, Tokyu Plaza and Kiriko lounge, the Nissan Gallery,…).

Day 2: Since you are in the neighbourhood, I recommend you to walk through Omotesando and look up for the architecture. There is an article here on TokyoCheapo about an architecture walk. There are many interesting buildings like the Prada shop, the Hugo Boss hourglass,… You seem to have forgotten Takeshita Dori in your list. I am not really a fan of Roppongi, so in my opinion not necessary.

Day 3: I would only go to Ueno Park during the hanami. Same for Yoyogi park. Other parks you can go to are Rikugien and Kiyosumi Teien. Both are very traditional Japanese gardens. In Akihabara you might make a stop at M’s Pop Life adult department store, but look up first what it exactly is.

Day 5: Meiji Shrine is close to Takeshita, Omotesando,… So it would be better on day 2 in your planning. I was quite disappointed by Meiji shrine, although I must say I visited it after I went to Kyoto and where I saw beautiful shrines. I think Yasukuni shrine is more interesting in Tokyo.

Since you are staying a long time in Tokyo, I would make 1 or 2 day trips:

• if you like hiking: Nokogiriyama (or Takaosan, Tsukubasan, Mitake with rock garden,…)
  • Kamakura
  • Enoshima (where I saw the most beautiful sunset behind Fujisan, so preferably on a clear day!)
  • Kawagoe
  • Nikko, although i haven’t been myself

You can also go to the Daikanyama - Nakameguro neighbourhood, which is pretty nice. The walk along the river is magical during cherry blossom season.

Have fun.

3 Likes

re: Imperial Palace
Don’t settle for just looking at the Imperial Palace from the outside. There are free guided tours to go onto the grounds. You have to apply for the limited number of tickets but it’s worth it. This link should explain everything: Request Rejected

2 Likes

@Linus Thank You very much for all the guidance. They are very helpful :slight_smile:

@gcrsnaka - Yes i now about this tours, but only are two trips a day :confused:

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.