Railpass Query!

Hello, I am a first time visitor of Japan…I will be visiting for 2 weeks. We are travelling to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Hiroshima and have decided to purchase a 2 week JR pass. Does this cover the city of Tokyo? As I understand from these posts that the whole Japan rail pass are bullet trains but O am wondering about the inner city trains. Not sure how long we are staying in Tokyo yet but the whole trip is 14 days.

Thank you

The pass covers JR lines and some ferries throughout Japan. Consequently, the pass covers JR lines in Tokyo too. The bigger cities like Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka have lots of private (non-JR) lines and subway systems - none of which are covered by the JR Pass. For getting around in Tokyo, you’ll more than likely end up taking the subway/metro. The only JR lines serving central Tokyo are the Yamanote Line, the Chuo Line and the Tokyo Monorail. Nothing to worry about though - just get a Pasmo/Suica and charge it up. You’d be hard pressed to spend more than 1,000yen/day on travel within the city. If you’re staying in Japan for longer than the 14 days of your rail pass, you should consider carefully when you activate your pass. Your rail pass works out to 3,375yen per day, so it’s better value to use a Pasmo/Suica if you’re only planning seeing the sights within Tokyo.

Hi there,

Yes, you can use your Japan Rail Pass in Tokyo. This pass covers all JR Group trains. Shinkansen bullet trains are also covered, except of NOZOMI and MIZUHO. This transportation ticket can be used on the Tokyo Monorail and the Yamanote line (Tokyo Metro) as well.

I hope this information clarifies your doubts.

Enjoy your trip!