Back Tokyo Cheapo | Events | Newsletter

Questions on the Article “how to become self-employed”

Thank you Lucy Dayman for this interesting article.
I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer for me

  1. How quickly do you need to process your white form after having started to work? Can it be a few month later?
  2. Can you keep your current visa as for example spouse of a Japanese or do you have to change the visa type to permission to engage in Activities once it comes for renewal?
  3. Can the blue or white form be found in English? If only in Japanese who can assist for those who do not speak/read/write Japanese ?
  4. What is the difference between the white form and the blue form?
    Many thanks !

Hi there, I have some questions about getting a visa and the different types there are.

My name is Chris, and I am working towards being self-employed through a digital business with clients from around the world, selling each wholesaler company’s products online.
I do not have a degree, as I do not need to possess one for this business. I simply contact them to see if we can agree on business plans. I do not know what type of proof I will need to show, or how well my knowledge of the Japanese language needs to be to start applying or a visa, or contacting an embassy, etc. for more information on what I need to fully move to Japan for extended visits or potential citizenship.

Any advice and/or information on these things would be very appreciated.
Thank you for your patience.

Not having a university degree makes it much more difficult but not impossible. However, if you are hoping to immigrate here, your options are probably as the spouse of a Japanese national or a foreigner with a valid visa, as a “trainee” (working for a Japanese company for very low pay), or self sponsored. The self sponsored route would involve setting up a subsidiary company in Japan, then transferring yourself from the parent company. Given that you’re starting out, that route might be quite challenging.

My advice would be just to come here (when the borders open) as a tourist and do a workation working with your existing clients outside Japan. Before COVID, it was relatively common for freelancers to come to Japan for a 3 month “workation”. You’re not supposed to work on a tourist visa, but since you’re serving clients in your home country and being paid in your home country, it doesn’t really matter.

Short term accommodation is much cheaper than hotels, but also much more expensive than regular housing. If you’re in Tokyo, you’ll need about $4,000 to $5,000/month to live comfortably. You can do it cheaper than that, but there will be quite a few compromises that could affect your ability to serve your clients.

If you’re still thinking about the visa/immigration route, you should just talk to an immigration lawyer in Japan.