Pocket Wifi or Free WifiHotspot?

Hello Cheapos!

I’m travelling to Tokyo in a few months and I’d like to know from any of the locals if I need pocket wifi or if I can get away with the Softbank/NTT free wifi services?

There seems to be heaps of free hotspots across Tokyo so I’m wondering if its even necessary to rent a pocket wifi.

Wont be travelling outside of Tokyo apart from a day trip to Mt Fuji

This is tokyo CHEAPO after all :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Scott,

It depends how much/often you want to be connected to the interwebs. Tokyo is not yet quite as connected as other capital cities, but you should be able to find at least 2-3 points where you can reliably connect on your daily travels (in the city centre, and around tourist hotspots). If you are wanting more constant connectivity, it’s definitely best to rent a pocket wifi router, or get a data SIM card for your phone.

We will be In Japan from Tokyo to Hiroshima for 14 days,we will carry our I Phones and I Pad.
Which would it be more useful to get a Sim card,hire a Pocket Wi fi or just the I Phone with International connection.Our need is for directions ,transports and getting info about places we visit?

Another factor to consider is whether or not the Pocket Wi-Fi has to be returned in-person of if you can just drop it into the mailbox. I always find my last day in Japan is so harried that having the mailbox option is a lifesaver!

I would suggest a pocket wifi, so that all of your devices can be connected.

Thanks for everyones input

I’ll probably get a sim card - cheaper and does the same thing. Dont have to worry about losing/damaging the router/paying insurance.

im working on a company that sell a pocket wifi and data sim at lowest price compare to other
we have like 50gb for just only 3,500 yen upto 300gb for 6,000 yen you can contact me at facebook at “rhick campos” my profile pic is me with my gf at the top of the hill or call me here 080-21883902 . thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 83 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.