Back Tokyo Cheapo | Events | Newsletter

Nervous first time traveller

I’m really nervous about my first trip to Japan, I will be doing a tour group from Tokyo to Osaka but I will have a full day in Tokyo by myself before the tour starts.

I have no idea what to expect from the minute I step off the plane at the Haneda airport. Clearing boarder security and customs, finding my way to my hotel in Ryogoku, checking in, buying train tickets etc. (JR 7 day pass is no use to me as I’m travelling with a group for 7 days and travel is included, really only have two days by myself at the beginning and the end of the trip)

My flight lands at 5.30am and I can’t check in till 3pm so I need to find somewhere to store my bags until check in and well find my hotel. I’ve posted on other forum websites and the response is always you will be fine, just take 3 different trains for over an hour to your hotel and ask if you can store your bags there. However I don’t speak or read a word of Japanese and the hotel I am staying at has a lot of online reviews saying the staff speak very little if any English. Then if I can drop my bags off early what to do? I thought about trying out one of the funky themed cafe’s but how do I explain to someone in Japanese that I am Lactose Intolerant and cant have dairy products, I could order something off a menu and not know it has dairy in it which could result in an unpleasant time.

I’m suddenly starting to think maybe picking a non English speaking country for a holiday wasn’t a smart decision.

Hi Jase27

Having internet would be a way to ease your potential nervousness. e.g. using a sim card or pocket wifi so that you can use google maps and google translate.
In the meantime here’s some poor Japanese phrases you could use to show the hotel staff and restaurants/cafes (based on my limited Japanese)

-I’m checking in at 3pm today, but can I store my bags here
今日チェックインしますが、先に荷物を置いてもいいですか?

-I’m lactose intolerant and can’t have dairy products, could you please tell me which items are ok?
僕は乳糖不耐症です。乳糖(ラクトース)が入っていない食べ物か飲み物をおすすめしてくれませんか

please dont hesitate to ask any other questions
Japanese people are generally super friendly and will try their best to communicate when you ask for help

cheers
Q

Hi Q,

Thank you so much for replying and I really appreciate the written Japanese phrases, I hope to get a travel sim card with data so I can use google translate.

Cheers

Jase