Jr passes help deciding

Hello guyss!! It will not be my first time in japan but i am just really confused on how the JR passes works . i am travelling to tokyo in december and will spend most of my time in shinjuku. i need help on deciding which jr passes to get as there are so many , i have narrowed it down to tokyo wide pass or the national jr pass. Here is my itinery
22/12-24/12 - shinjuku
24/12-25/12- yokohama
25/12-27/12-hakone (odawara station)
27/12-28/12-nagano
28/12-29/12-kusatsu
29/12-31/12-karuizawa
31/12-5/1- shinjuku
I understand that i will pass by karuizawa before i reach kusatsu but the reason for that is that there will be no direct shinkansen from kusatsu and i prefer a direct transport on 31/12 as it is the new years eve. I also did my research and found out that tokyo wide pass does not cover JR buses and subways and covers till sakuidara station only and not nagano station. Will it be more cost effective if i get the tokyo wide pass or the national JR pass… Any help is deeply appreciated , Thanks in advance:)

Hi there,
You don’t need to plan the first few days of your trip around the rail pass. Getting from Shinjuku to Yokohama and to Hakone (Odakyu Line may be faster) is relatively cheap. One way fares from Shinjuku to Yokohama are only 560yen. To Hakone Yumoto from Shinjuku on the Odakyu Line it’s 1,200yen each way.
For the Nagano portion, if you want a pass, the JR East Nagano/Niigata pass might be your best bet.
Travelling around Tokyo/Yokohama with a SUICA/Pasmo is much cheaper and more convenient than using a JR pass.
Greg

This topic was automatically closed 83 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.