Japan Rail Pass advice

Hi, I am travelling to Tokyo in September 2019. Would like to seek advice on the JR Passes. I will be going to Takayama(2D1N), Kyoto(4D3N), Osaka(2D1N) and then back to Tokyo. The furthest I’m going would be Takayama. Is it advisable to purchase the Japan Rail Pass?

hi suyuien
i tried some calculations using hyperdia for shinkansen (reserved seat)
tokyo- takayama 15220
takayama-kyoto 10470
osaka -tokyo 14650
(kyoto-osaka on normal train cheapest 560)
total- 40900, excluding airport trains and local trains

JR pass 7d 29,110 but prob doesnt fit your schedule
14d 46,390

So based on this rough calculation, it might be convenient to get the JR 14d pass, as you can also take a day trip from kyoto to e.g. hiroshima or himeji, and take the train to/from the airports etc

hi q10,

Thank you for the advice!
I will be in Japan for 14D13N. First week travelling to Takayama, Kyoto and Osaka(Mon - Sun)
The remaining days will be in Tokyo, Mt Fuji.
If I were to purchase 14days JR pass, can it be used on all metro in Tokyo?
Thank you.

Hi Suyuien,

The Japan Rail Pass can’t be used on all the metro in Tokyo. But it gives you access to all JR Group limited express trains, express trains, rapid and local ones. Shinkansen bullet trains are also covered.

Furthermore, the JR Pass can be used on the Tokyo Monorail, the Yamanote line (Tokyo Metro); the Aoimori Railway between Aomori and Hachinohe; the JR Ishikawa Railway between Kanazawa and Tsubata; the Ainokaze Toyama Railway between Toyama and Takaoka; Narita Express from Narita Airport to Tokyo. Source: https://www.jrailpass.com/faq/japan-rail-pass-trains-included

Based on your itinerary, this pass may work for you.

Hope this information helps!

1 Like

Hi Tim1980,

Thank you!
I will go with 14D JR pass.
Appreciate the link provided!