Does the regional rail pass covers part of journey

Hello,

I’m looking at doing a trip in japan that basically follows this route

Tokyo-Osaka-Kobe(and back to Osaka)-Kyoto-Nara(and back to Kyoto)-Himeji-Tottori(and back to Himeji)-Hiroshima-Tokyo

The regional pass “Sanyo-Sanin Area” should cover everything except the coming from ang going back to Tokyo.
It should however cover part of the trip back from Hiroshima to Kyoto on the Nozomi Line.

Can i just have the pass, book the train with the part covered by the pass discounted or do i need separate tickets / can’t do it at all?

I’ve read the guide but this poin is not clear

Thanks

You cannot use Sanyo-Sanin Area Pass for Nozomi Shinkansen or any part of its trip. You will need to buy separate tickets for whole Nozomi journey if you decide to take it. The pass only works for Hikari and Sakura Shinkansen trains inside its specific zone. For travel between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto or any part that needs Nozomi, you must buy separate tickets.

but on the website it says
“Sanyo shinkansen
*including NOZOMI and MIZUHO”

maybe i can book Hiroshima-Kyoto on the pass and Kyoto-Tokyo separately?

Yes, you able to use Sanyo-San’in Area Pass for travel between Hiroshima and Kyoto. But must take Hikari or Sakura trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen line. For part from Kyoto to Tokyo which is outside of Sanyo-San’in Area, need buy separate ticket for Nozomi or Hikari trains on Tōkaidō Shinkansen. Just make sure to book Hiroshima to Kyoto part on a right train and take care of separate tickets for Kyoto to Tokyo.

1 Like