Trains and how to get around Tokyo only

Hi all, I’m just staying in Tokyo for 7 days, in nakemaguro, but want to be able to travel around Tokyo by train every day in there. I don’t plan any outside of Tokyo travel and if I do I will expect and understand to pay for this seperately, but I’m still very confused if I have to buy a rail pass or not, or can just buy day passes as easily at any Station. Help!

You don’t need any train pass or any day passes either. Just buy a Suica or a Pasmo (they’re the same - just sold by different operators) and load some money on to it. Suica/Pasmo is a pay as you go pass. If there is a balance on the card when you leave, then you can get that back in cash. You can also get the 500yen deposit back. Super easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed, no stress, you can just do as CheapoGreg wrote. There are also some discount passes for certain destinations. Since you will travel around Tokyo, you might be interested in a (half-)day trip to Kawagoe: http://www.tobu.co.jp/foreign/tojo/en/discount/. And you can do combinations like Sarushima + Yokohama on one day, or Kamakura + Enoshima (although for this last combination you will be on a tight schedule).

1 Like

Cool thank you. I really only plan to travel on all the tokyo trains and metros, I don’t have a massive stay but do want to get as much around outer suburb and inner tokyo as I can. The loaded card seems best

Yeah, I agree with the others, a JR Pass would be a waste of money. I think you can get by for about $7 a day in the trains which is about $50 for 7 days, compared to $250 for the pass. My friends and I didn’t get an IC card like Suica and we were ok buying tickets but I wish we had gotten the card. It would’ve been faster.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.